Image by jasmic Subscribe by email Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
A Heart For God: Chewed Up and Spit Out (A Rant)

Monday, August 30, 2010

Chewed Up and Spit Out (A Rant)

I've noticed a disturbing trend. Of course, what do I know? My sphere of influence and group of contacts is very small. I know that. And I also know it's so easy to make overall generalizations that may or may not true. Nevertheless, I think there's something here. The disturbing trend I'm referring to is the tendency in the church to care so much for the unchurched, the lost, unbelievers ~ whatever term you want to use ~ to the point and to the exclusion of care for them after they get saved / come to Jesus. This is what I mean. You become a Christian and the (quote) "church" (I guess I'm really referring to some leadership in the church, not all) ~ they'll chew you up and spit you out on the altar of service to God (for lack of a better way of putting it). Whatever happened to shepherding the flock of God, too? "[Jesus] said to [Peter], 'Tend My lambs.' 'Shepherd My sheep.' 'Tend My sheep.'" (John 21:15-17)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger James said...

I tend to agree. After my wife and I were saved, we were virtually ignored by most people and although we knew we were welcomed and nurtured by Jesus, we didn't know how to become integrated into the church. There were a few folks who took us under their wing, but the larger church group was tremendously "clique-ish".

We are supposed to be known by how we love each other but even in the church, we seem to love each other only if we're already friends.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Nickie said...

I have had this happen to me before (actually my husband and myself) at our previous church (prior to moving). I am VERY happy to say that we have never had that problem at our current church. We have the most amazing, loving, and helpful church family I've ever had the privilege to be a part of. We are a small church, but we are a close church. I am so thankful to God for leading us to this wonderful group of people!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This really hit home for me. A week ago, my son informed my wife and me that he is quitting his current college, which he has a full 4 year ride to. He wants to go into youth ministry. After getting to talk to him last night in person, I'm 100% behind him.
He told us that he sees all to often that the church gets the kid to church, gets them "saved", then leaves it up to God. I see this happening a lot also. Anyone from a kid to an adult needs discipleship after salvation, especially the kids.

The church of today needs to get away from the numbers and get on the mission field.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Bakersfield Brat said...

I agree with you. I see it in my own parish. Many of us have discussed this problem. We want to have continuing shepparding to the flock. We as the lay people need to help make this happen some how.

3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home






free counters