Image by jasmic Subscribe by email Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
A Heart For God: Twitter "Crushes"

Monday, January 03, 2011

Twitter "Crushes"

Do you remember in school the "fascination" a classmate would have with a certain teacher? We called them "crushes." Right? They were an attachment, a connection (emotionally) to the instructor in the mind of a student - and for whatever reason. The instructor smiled, gave praise, paid extra attention (it may not have been extra, but seemed like it) and/or - there could be a legitimate "teacher's pet" relationship going. It could be just about anything that's at the root of a crush developing (low self-esteem, loneliness, etc., included).

I'd like to suggest it can happen with social media, too. (It's really not a large leap.) I'm focusing on Twitter in particular because it's where I spend most of my time and I believe people are most susceptible to crushes on Twitter because of the ease of listening in on and/or jumping in on conversations with people you don't really know except surfacely.

And I was thinking about giving a list of signs that you may have a "Twitter crush," but I'll leave that for another day. (Maybe you could add a "sign" in the comment section below?) Suffice it to say that Twitter crushes can be harmless. But especially as believers, we need to be careful that they don't move into the danger zone (like the devil would have).

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

8 Comments:

Blogger Steve Barrett said...

Interesting post. I think people easily admire those who give them positive attention.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous mcProdigal said...

Multiple DMs from someone you don't know or barely know that are not related to a current discussion

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Christine Smith @LifeVerse said...

I've never been tempted to have Twitter crush nor has anyone crushed on me. What really matters is what's in your heart- and a heart for God does not crush on others because that would be pride. My twitter motto is more of God, less of me (John 3:30) and so I pray more people would "crush on" Jesus.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Maria Dowse said...

I would be interested to hear what you think warrants a crush.

I keep it pretty simple. If I would be uncomfortable having the conversation with Jesus and my husband sat next to me, then it is inappropriate.

11:48 AM  
Blogger CoolChik4Christ said...

Great Start....
this speaks to guarding my heart. For a chick like me, single, saved, celibate and satisfied I am attracted to a creative, encouraging, intellectual yet humorous Christian wordsmith. Hmmm...just the thought brings a smile. Unfortunately for some others in Twitterville, social media affords many a reality that is elsewhere unattainable. Real life, Real issue, Relevant blog...
Carrying on in Jesus' name.
@coolchik4christ

12:41 PM  
Blogger CoolChik4Christ said...

Great Start....
this speaks to guarding my heart. For a chick like me, single, saved, celibate and satisfied I am attracted to a creative, encouraging, intellectual yet humorous Christian wordsmith. Hmmm...just the thought brings a smile. Unfortunately for some others in Twitterville, social media affords many a reality that is elsewhere unattainable. Real life, Real issue, Relevant blog...
Carrying on in Jesus' name.
@coolchik4christ

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe anyone should mistake admiration or appreciation for a crush. We really don't know anything about each other, our culture, our family, how we like to spend free time, and any of our preferences in life. I always remind myself that I have no idea how a person smells or sounds or looks like in 3D. It's just not real.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel we connect with people on instinct. One assumption is that folks on Twitter are likely to be more open and honest. Crush? Far from it. But rather a acceptance at 140 characters. A whole world awaits...explore and dive deep...without a lie. Hard for some..but those of us with faith enjoy it.

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home






free counters