Image by jasmic Subscribe by email Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
A Heart For God: Listen

Friday, December 09, 2011

Listen

"'A stranger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers.'" (John 10:5)

I was 15 when I started learning guitar. And what I would do is I would listen. You might think that odd. "Listen? To play guitar? That doesn't make sense." Yes, it does. (And will.) The way it went is I would strap my electric guitar on (it was an Epiphone) and listen to a record. (They are mp3 and iTunes downloads now.) I would listen to a record (album) on a record player. (Dating myself.) I would listen and listen and listen and listen. And after that, guess what? I would listen some more. To the same song ~ over and over and over again. I would listen.

I began to know the sounds of chords, notes, melodies, lead breaks, harmonies. I began to be able to play by ear. I could put on a record and say, "That's an A chord. Or C. Or E minor. Or D suspended, etc." It was cool.

It's the same way with God's voice.

The way to "know it" is by listening ~ by listening to the "record" (of Scripture) over and over and over again. We "listen" by reading the Bible. We "listen" via audio. We "listen" by going to church (and hearing a preacher preach). We "listen" by clicking on links on Twitter and then reading what godly women and men have to say on their blogs. We "listen" by playing worship songs and choruses (over and over and over again) ~ and singing along!

And we begin to know the sounds of chords, notes, melodies, lead breaks, harmonies.

And they're coming from God's heart now! (Wow.)

Listen. \o/

You might also be interested in:

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Schicke said...

Funny how so many of us say we don't know God well enough, yet we don't take time to stop yapping so we can hear what He has to tell us about himself.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home






free counters